u Social services assistance range from giving practical tips and advices on various issues to intensive guidance and
- ♀ Crisis intervention gives immediate and direct help, for instance in partner-related cases involving physical, mental and emotional violence.
- ♀ Telephone help line is devoted entirely to receiving calls from Filipinas who need information, immediate help or simply a listening ear.
- ♀ Follow-up support activities give continuous assistance and guidance for the Filipinas who are slowly but surely trying to build her life again after a crisis.
- ♀ Special support services for Filipina au-pairs include giving information about au pair rights and obligations, and providing practical assistance like helping them overcome difficulties in making social and cultural adjustments in the Netherlands and acting as mediator between the au pair and other entities.
u Network, Lobby and Advocacy. In general, we lobby Dutch government institutions, policy-making bodies, trade union
federations, welfare and health institutions, the Philippine Embassy in the Netherlands and the Philippine government.
u Research, Publications and Information work include but is not limited to the following:
- ♀ Our lobby and advocacy work are primarily on migration laws, independent residence permits for women, working conditions, welfare and health services, and on equal job opportunities. We are an active member of the lobby group Komite Zelfstandige verblijsvergunning, and we work with other lobby groups and expertise centres such as E-quality and Forum (Instituut voor Multiculturele Ontwikkeling).
- ♀ Our network of women and migrant organizations includes, among others, TIYE, IDEA, ZAMI, Stichting Lai Yin Chinese Vrouwen, and various Philippine women networks in the Netherlands and in Europe (Diwa, Babaylan, Platform of Philippine Migrant Organizations in Europe, Commission for Filipino Migrant Workers-International). We are also a member of Association of Women and Development (AWID).
♀ Compilation and publication of primers and pamphlets on existing laws and policies which are relevant to our work
- ♀ Dissemination of information on the situation of the Filipinas in the Netherlands and on the causes of their migration from the Philippines.
- ♀ Conducting and initiating researches and surveys on issues which concern our target groups (i.e., the Filipinas, the Filipino and Dutch communities). Some examples of our recent major collaborative and independent work:
- · The position of au pairs in the Netherlands from outside the EU (with the Brabant Catholic University. 2000)
- · Migrants and Networks in Europe 2005 (EC project, partnership with Roma Tre University)
- · The social and economic position of Filipinas in the Netherlands (on-going)
(e.g., immigration and integration policies, marriage with Dutch partner, divorce, social security, au pair system
regulation, au pair rights.)
u Empowerment Programme - Education and Training
As a preventive strategy, Bayanihan conduct various trainings/workshops and seminars to inform and raise the awareness of its target groups on various issues and topics, and to addresss these issues and problems that confront the Filipinas inorder to learn from and prevent these problems from (re)ocurring. Some of our topics are:
Our resource persons and trainors are experts on the subject matter and/or have concrete experiences on specific cases.
- ♀ Migrant women’s rights and obligations
- ♀ Au pair rights and obligations
- ♀ Gender-based violence
- ♀ Dutch laws and policies
- ♀ Assertiveness workshops
- ♀ Basic skills training
- ♀ Leadership training
- ♀ Cross-cultural communication
- ♀ Basic women orientation on gender and other issues
- ♀ Marriage and parenting in a bi-cultural society